Design Plantenance & Plantenance Landscape Group.
Believe it or not, buried amongst all the negativity about our economic decline, diminished stock returns and fluctuating home values, there is some very positive news for the savvy investor – the savvy landscape investor that is!
Undoubtedly, most of us appreciate that a successful landscape project can add significantly to the enjoyment of ones home and premises by making it not only more attractive, but functional as well.
But did you know that a properly designed and created outdoor space also represents an excellent investment that can easily add as much as 20% to the resale value of your home?
In fact, a recent “Money Magazine” report states that quality installed landscaping yields the highest rate of return of any home improvement project, even more than remodelling a kitchen, bathroom, or the addition of a swimming pool.
Similarly, the magazine reveals a 100 – 200 percent recovery value in landscaping projects that were “well designed, installed and harmonized with the surroundings nearby”. As such, a homeowner can expect to at least recover the funds invested into their landscape should the property ever to be sold.
In contrast, a kitchen remodelling was given a recovery rate of 75 – 125 %, while a bathroom re-modeling received a rate of 20 – 120 % and a 20 – 50 % recovery rate for a swimming pool.
As with any wise investment, a successful design-build landscape project can quickly appreciate over time as the plant material matures and increases in value.
Likewise, a skillfully installed patio, walkway, or garden wall for example, unlike cars or furnishings, can easily be expected to maintain their value over the years.
But wait, there’s more! Consider these interesting statistics:
• 99 per cent of property appraisers concurred that landscaping enhances the sales appeal of real estate.
Trendnomics, National Gardening Association.
• Landscape investments are recovered fully, and sometimes doubled, via increasing real estate values.
Wall Street Journal
• Trees/shrubs are the best investment within a landscape. Their value begins to rise and appreciate each season. Well-selected plants can enhance property values anywhere from 5 to 20 per cent.
• In Quebec, researchers at Laval University made a detailed study of 760 home sales and found that landscaping attributes (trees, flowers, plants, hedges) can “command a substantial market premium.”
• A survey by the federal government found that the mere mention of the word “landscaping” in real estate ads resulted in a selling price 6% higher than those that didn’t. Even more surprising, the word speeded sale time by a whopping 20%.
By carefully investing into well designed and installed landscape project, you will have taken perhaps one of the biggest steps towards maximizing not only the beauty and enjoyment of your home, but the overall value of your property as well.